[squid-users] question on httpd_accel_with_proxy

From: Moore, Jonathan <Jonathan_Moore@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:45:17 -0400

Hi folks,

I have a question about using squid with 'httpd_accel_with_proxy on' (i.e. both as a server accelerator and as a caching proxy).

The problem I run into is when a local client, using squid as a proxy, makes a request for the server that's being fronted. In this case, squid gets the request, adds its hostname in the 'Via' header, forwards the request *to itself* (in the server accelerator role), and then denies the request due to seeing its own hostname in the 'Via' header (i.e. it thinks it's seeing a forwarding loop).

I only have one machine available here, so I can't move some of these things around, if that's relevant.

1. Is there a way to get squid to recognize this special case of proxying to itself as a non-looping request?
2. If not, if I set up two squids locally, one as a server accelerator and one as a caching proxy for the local clients, and turned on ICS, would this basically be just as good?

Thanks,
Jon Moore
Jon Moore
Distinguished Engineer