Re: [squid-users] squid transparent proxy

From: Wennie V. Lagmay <wlagmay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:57:40 +0300 (AST)

Hi Amos,

You have mentioned that "ip route add default via squid-box dev eth1 table 2"
  line #4) route all '3' marked traffic over to squid-box for handling.

As I mentioned I have 2 Interface eth0 which is the internet connection where in squid is connected and eth1 internet connection wherein all traffic goes out.
To give you clear picture for firewall, eth0 is connected to internal network, http request will go to squid (squid also also has 2 interfaces eth0 internal connection and eth1 internet connection) all IP with in the internal network are all private, so clients connects to squid by private IP and squid has to connect to the internet directly without connecting to the firewall. Connection will only fast through the firewall if its a peer to peer, voice and video connection, and all other connection which does not require proxy. With line number 4 I am worried that the firewall will forward all traffics to squid.

        --------
   eth0 |squid |eth1
  |-----| |---------|
  | -------- |
  | |----router ---- internet
  | |
  | eth0 ---------- eth1 |
  |------|firewall |-----
         | |

 Please refer to the above diagram, Internal network is connected via eth0 and both squid and firewall has its on eth1 to connected to internet. as I mention clients only need to be translated to public IP if there is need to be translated so firewall will do that and at the same time it will act as a router. On the other hand if they need a http, firewall just act as a router (since it is the default gateway for every body) forward the request to squid and squid will fetch for the site directly without passing though the firewall after the squid got the page it is only the time it will reply to the request via firewall (on eth)

So that my worry implemented the 4th rule might forward all the traffics to squid.

Please enlighten me on this.

regards,

Wennie