[squid-users] Unable to Access support.microsoft.com through Squid

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:00:33 -0500

I have recently been unable to browse support.microsoft.com through our squid proxy servers.

Investigation into the issue leads me to believe that Microsoft is responding with gzip transfer encoding.

Firefox Reports a content encoding error:
Content Encoding Error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Internet Explorer Reports that I am not connected to the internet or the web server is not responding.
I was able to find a work around for IE, by un-checking the use http 1.1 options under the advanced tab.

We have 2 proxy servers configured, one is running FreeBSD 5.4 with Squid-2.5.STABLE13, the other is running FreeBSD 6.2 with Squid-2.6-STABLE9.  Both have the same problem, after some reading, I found that this issue should have been fixed in Squid-2.6+ and Squid-3.1+. Since 3.1 is not out in production state yet, 2.6 seems to be the way to go, is STABLE9 not new enough to have the fix in it? I already have 3.0 compiled and was ready to put it in place, but I have no problem switching to the latest version of 2.6 if that will fix this problem.

Has anyone else ran into this issue, and found a solution to the problem?

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co