Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.0Stable5 ESI and a lot of crashes

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 23:11:42 +1200

Marcel Alburg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i've some Problem with the SQUID 3.0.STABLE5 on a x86_64 Server.
>
> I use Squid with ESI and my webpage has more and more visitors. Since 1
> Month, the Google Bot comes very often and i get more and more errors in
> my logs:
>
> May 7 05:13:47 mastermind kernel: squid[31011] general protection
> rip:2b79dd98ee5c rsp:7fffce10ceb0 error:0
> May 7 05:13:47 mastermind squid[29339]: Squid Parent: child process
> 31011 exited due to signal 11
<snip>

> This Error comes 20 to 40 times a day.
> Now, i check my Google Webmaster account and see, that a lot of webpages
> couldn't be reached.
>
> Whats is the Problem ?

Maybe a lot of things. signal 11 is an 'assert'. There are many of those
throughout squid for preventing dangerous things happening.

If you can get a good trace of which particular assert() is killing
squid connections we could track it down. The details should be in
cache.log at or just before the syslog entry times.

Also please be aware that ESI in 3.x is experimental. We have only one
developer recently started looking at the many known ESI bugs.

Amos