Re: [squid-users] WPAD / PAC woes

From: Brent Clark <brentgclarklist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 15:55:13 +0200

Tim Bates wrote:
> On 10/5/2008, "Brent Clark" <brentgclarklist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> m trying to get WPAD working, but Mozilla Firefox is not playing game.
>> IE is working.
>>
>> My DNS entry:
>> --------------------
>> wpad IN A 192.168.111.9
>> IN TXT "service:
>> wpad:http://wpad.example.local:80/wpad.dat"
>> wpad.tcp IN SRV 0 0 80 wpad.example.local.
>>
>> My DHCP entry:
>> option wpad-url code 252 = text;
>> option wpad-url "http://wpad.example.local/wpad.dat\n";
>>

> My guess is something broken with the DNS method and IE is working
> because it also tries the DNS method (which really only works for IE
> anyway).
> Is the DHCP server giving out a correct DNS suffix (the same suffix the
> wpad DNS entry is under)?
>
> TB

I found the problem. Looks like the client does a query for
http://192.168.111.9/wpad.dat.

and I can ping wpad (no dns suffix added)

Which would actually rely on apaches "default" virtual host.

I confirmed this by copying the wpad.dat file to /var/www.

All works.

Now to figure what my next step is / or how im going to fix this, cause
I dont like that default used, but good to know its "working"

Regards
Brent Clark