[squid-users] Re: squid going bananas on rr-dns servers

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 13:52:11 +0200

On 2008-05-12, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> balance_on_multiple_ip off
> in squid.conf should stop any IP-rotation within squid unless the IP its
> trying to use fails.

ok, thanks! And it's even smart enough to rotate on connection failure.
That's very nice to know about.

> Please in future indicate which version of squid you are using.

It was squid-2.6.STABLE6-5.el5_1.3 on RHEL5.

> I sort of get the idea you are attempting to accelerate / reverse-proxy
> the website through squid though. For one of those setups please see:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

Thanks for the pointer, but that's not what we're trying to do no. It's
a webserver cluster, with shared filesystem (GPFS), and heartbeath
(linux-ha.org) for failover ip-addresses which are distributed trough
rr-dns. So, no squid on our side, but the users might be going trough
proxies, so it's important to test that everything works there too.

Turned out that our problem with browser looping over elements in the
webpage happens if a user is autenticated on the webpage, and switches
from proxied to non-proxied, or non-proxied to proxied connection. So I
guess it's a problem with the php-sessions maybe incorporating the
client ip-address in some cookies, and getting confused if the client ip
changes. So it was not a problem with squid in any way.

  -jf