[squid-users] Re: squid going bananas on rr-dns servers

From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 00:26:38 +0200

On 2008-05-12, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> On mån, 2008-05-12 at 13:52 +0200, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the pointer, but that's not what we're trying to do no. It's
>> a webserver cluster, with shared filesystem (GPFS), and heartbeath
>> (linux-ha.org) for failover ip-addresses which are distributed trough
>> rr-dns. So, no squid on our side, but the users might be going trough
>> proxies, so it's important to test that everything works there too.
>
> If you have all that, why does it at all matter which server the request
> got sent to?

No, I agree .. it shouldn't matter at all, but when I don't have much controle
over the application it's nice to verify that it works both in theory *and* in
practice :-) Otherwise the customers might get unhappy, and we might get forced
to use a system with sticky sessions towards each server.

IMHO, seeing that this works, we now have a very nice scalable system, without
too much complexity (simple failover ip-address)-- and also no single points
of failure.

    -jf