Re: [squid-users] Remote squidclient

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:21:18 -0800

Ron Richardson wrote:
> I have the MacPort of Squid running on a Mac Mini. Works great. But I
> don't want to tax it with all of the reporting stuff (Apache, RRDTool,
> etc.). I want to run those on an existing web server. I read in Duane
> Wessel's book (page 288) that "If you have additional trusted hosts, you
> may want to add them to the access rules also.", which I did in
> squid.conf...
>
> acl manager proto cache_object
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
> acl mgrhost src 170.158.132.7/255.255.255.255
> http_access allow manager mgrhost
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
>
> But when I run a squidclient request from the 132.7 host...
>
> squidclient cache_object://squide.liverpool.k12.ny.us/info
>
> I get the error...
> client: ERROR: Cannot connect to localhost:3128: Connection refused

That looks like either a firewall issue, or squid not listening to the
default port. What does your http_port line look like? For what it's
worth, using something that will populate RRDTool files is likely going
to query using SNMP (UDP port 3401 by default). Squidclient isn't going
to help with testing that.

> The subnet that contains the 132.7 host is in the list of allowed subnets
> in squid.conf. I can't think of anything else that might be stopping it.
> Is this type of operation not allowed, and if not, how can I get the Squid
> stats from a remote machine?

Sure it is. Many people run MRTG, Cacti, Munin or other logging service
on a separate system from the one running Squid.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
>
> I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
> -Steven Wright

Chris