[squid-users] logging ident while avoiding an ident lookup for each request

From: Marc Haber <mh+squid-users_at_zugschlus.de>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 23:11:51 +0200

Hi,

I have a case where a squid provides caching services for a multi-user
Unix system which has identd enabled. I'd like squid to log the ident
value of a user with the access in the access log. I have already
accomplished this (it's rather easy to do), but I am concerned about
load issues this might impose on the multi-user system and on the
network since the amount of TCP connections on the network is neatly
doubled.

Is it possible to have squid send some kind of identification to the
browser so that an ident lookup is only necessary for the first http
request in a session and the client can be identified by the bit sent
back by the browser for the rest of the session?

Or am I chasing a phantom here and the load imposed by the
ident-lookups (which includes TCP session building and teardown) is
negligible? Which other solutions are possible?

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190