Re: [squid-users] logging ident while avoiding an ident lookup for each request

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_creative.net.au>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 04:38:24 +0800

On Thu, May 22, 2008, Marc Haber wrote:

> > uhm, the problem again is how to patch the client to identify itself
> > with this cookie.
>
> Am I too naive when I think that a simple http cookie would be enough?

Nope, but you have to figure out how to get the browser to always present
the cookie, regardless of domain.

I think I know the magic hackery one would need to do to Squid to make
this happen. Think "What is phorm doing in the UK with their inline
browsing hijackery" and you'll be on the right track.

> > The solution is negotiate, basic or ntlm authentication. They store an
> > auth cookie and send it along with requests. :)
>
> Having the client ask for a username/password is not acceptable for
> the site.

ADrian