Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy with DansGuardian using IDENT

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 01:24:38 +0200

On tor, 2008-05-29 at 12:34 -0700, modulok wrote:
> I have setup a squid server with dansguardian. I also have a server setup
> with iptables acting as the default gateway. I have transparent proxy with
> dansguardian filtering working. When using transparent proxy, the squid
> server does not process the Ident info. If I manually put in the proxy info
> and port (squid:8080) Ident gets processed.

Correct. ident and transparent interception is mutually exclusive. This
beacuse for ident to work the ident lookup need to come from the source
IP of the contacted server which is the requested web server, and this
is not possible without tricks like tproxy.

> Below are two lines from dansguardian's access.log. The first one is via
> default gateway, second via manual proxy. How do I go about having the
> logfile use the client's IP and username? I am thinking its something in
> iptables, to force the ident info to pass through gateway to squid server.

I would recomment looking into how to deploy proxy settings to the
cliets. It solves many problems, and isn't that difficult.