Re: [squid-users] Problem with some Microsoft Sites

From: Danilo Godec <danilo.godec_at_agenda.si>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:33:15 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom pravi:
> On fre, 2008-05-30 at 13:25 +0200, Danilo Godec wrote:
>
>> I've tried to use 'header_access' option instead, but I'm not sure it's
>> the same thing. Is it?
>
> Almost. In this context it is.
>
> But with 2.6.STABLE20 you don't need this setting. If you still have
> problems the problem is something else.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Wow...

I'm buffled. I changed MTU on the server running squid (from 1500 to 1496) and
microsoft.com works now.

But I don't get it - this is my situaation:

--- ADSL BACKUP-----|

-- MAIN I-NET ---- FIREWALL ----- SQUID (DMZ)

                     |__________ LOCAL LAN

The internet connection is ethernet and the firewall has MTU 1500 on all
interfaces except 'ppp0' (1492), which is not used at all.

Machines on local LAN are mostly Windows desktops and I suppose they have a
'default' MTU - 1500 (I don't even know where to check or change).

The server running Squid also had MTU 1500 and it all worked happily until
yesterday afternoon (according to users, that is).

So this only leaves two options - either Microsoft changed something on their
servers (no other site was reported as problematic) or somebody changed
something on lower network layers on my customer's side (as I have control over
the Linux firewall and the Squid server).

I'll keep digging...

  D.

--
Danilo Godec, sistemska podpora