Re: [squid-users] Squid as Reverse Proxy - Backend Server Issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 20:15:17 +0200

tor 2008-06-05 klockan 00:19 +0800 skrev howard chen:
> 1. Is it true Squid will only use the Last Modified and Cache Control
> header for caching,

Yes.

> other headers are not important in my setup?

Well.. don't send conflicting Expires or "Pragma: no-cache" headers..

> 2. I found that Squid will not consult the backend for updating the
> Last Modified value and sometimes send out 304 directly. So is that if
> my file has changed in my backend, I need to PURGE the Squid?

Or wait until the freshness expires. Or issue an request with
Cache-Control: max-age=0 to force the freshness to expire "now". When
the object freshness has expired Squid will use Last-Modified to query
the backend to see if there has been any changes.