[squid-users] Re:[squid-users] performances ... again

From: Dean Weimer <dweimer_at_orscheln.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:52:53 -0500

How are your browsers configured to use the proxy? Manual, wpad script, transparent?

Could be a problem with discovering proxy settings.

What about a second page on the same server, ie. http://some.domain.com then http://some.domain.com/nextpage.html? Could be a DNS response issue, perhaps your first server is timing out, and the clients have to wait for the second to respond. If the second page comes up right away, this would be a good indicator of that. As Squid would have cached the DNS lookup from the first request.

Most servers are not going to have a 12Mb/s of bandwidth is a decent chunk, I wouldn't expect to see that maxed out all the time, because you are averaging under 2Mb/s in itself is not cause for concern. The fact that you are hitting it on large downloads means the link is performing well.

I am seeing about 180ms median response time on misses and 5ms median response time on hits, 87ms response time on DNS Lookups. The server is running 2G cpu and 1G ram, with an average of 900 req/min. The server is servicing about 500 clients connected behind 2 T1 lines. Both lines are consistently running at 1.2 to 1.5Mb/s from 7am to 6pm when most users are at work. Disk cache is 8gigs on the same disk as system, which is actually a hardware mirrored ultra 160 10K SCSI disks, (Not ideal, as I have learned a lot more since I first built this system), but the performance is excellent, so I haven't found cause to change it. The server is running FreeBSD 5.4, squid the cache and logs are installed on their own mount point using ufs file system, Mount point is on a single Disk slice encompassing entire hard drive, and to top that off, the file system runs about 90% of capacity, yet another no no.

Thanks,
     Dean Weimer
     Network Administrator
     Orscheln Management Co