[squid-users] Squid Performance, VMware vs Physical Machine

From: Brodsky, Jared S. <JaredB_at_greatertalent.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 18:35:08 -0400

Getting ready to roll out a squid server in my organization after doing
about a month of testing on it on a virtual machine in VMware server.
Is running squid in a virtual environment recommended, or is having a
dedicated box a safer way to go? I'll have about 30 users that hit
YouTube and other streaming media sites throughout the day and I am
hoping to cache a lot of it since many watch the same ones more than
once. I do, however have a box set aside that I can use which is a P4 3
Ghz w/ 1GB ram and was going to drop in two 10,000 RPM drives for the
cache. I know that the squid wiki says JBOD is preferable, however is
RAID 0 a bad way to go?

Jared