Re: [squid-users] Re: Cacheboy-1.1 release, testers wanted!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 00:11:44 +0200

On lör, 2008-06-07 at 13:32 -0700, Linda W wrote:
> Is squid being renamed?

No.

> Or what the relation of cacheboy to the squid project?

CacheBoy is a fork of the Squid project, where Adrian tries out some new
ideas of what the future should look like.

> I'm also a bit perturbed, that 3.0, which has been around
> forever, is still in Beta,

Squid-3.0 was released as the current STABLE release on May 20, 2008 and
is no longer in testing.

> while alot of work continues to
> go on in the 2.x line.

Adrian still works on 2.x, and third-party contributions is still
accepted (if in reasonable shape). I also continue maintaining the 2.x
tree fixing important bugs.

For some time the two versions will coexists, but the intentions is that
3.x should fill the role over time. There is some features and
performance missing from 3.x to completely take over from 2.x, but also
a lot of unique functionality not found in 2.x.

> I mean "usually" most work goes toward
> the new generation....with maybe 1 person handing bug fixes
> for 2.x...and usually most feature work goes into 3.x...

It s the case for Squid as well.

> Is cacheboy going to become a 3rd squid proxy server? Or
> why was it split off?

Because Adrian is not happy with the direction Squid-3 is taking, and
also because he is more comfortable with C than C++, with large parts of
Squid-3 being somewhat alien to him where Squid-2 is very well known to
him.