Re: [squid-users] Re: RE : [squid-users] performances ... again

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 23:56:26 +1200

Michel (M) wrote:
> Ionel GARDAIS disse na ultima mensagem:
>> Hi Dean,
>>
>> I had these directives :

>> I commented out "append_domain" as this is not relevant to our
>> configuration now.
>

> both are kind of not important at all
> if you think they cause trouble set this
>
> dns_testnames localhost
>
> IMO this nasty var really should disappear from squid.conf, seems from the
> 90's when dns server still where dark stuff for most

Question for all users:
   Is anyone actually _needing_ this to stay? Or can we indeed drop it?

> append_domain does not matter because when you have internet access this
> should be solved by your dns so let it at default ( none )

Almost right. Standard DNS resolvers don't do non-FQDN resolving, but
either of Squid's resolvers can handle that properly as long as the
local network domin is registered either as 'domain' or 'search'
directives in your /etc/resolv.conf (registry on windows).

Amos