Re: [squid-users] Squid3 - reason to migrate

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:14:22 +1200 (NZST)

> Dnia Pn Czerwca 9 2008, 16:50, Steve Bertrand napisał(a):
>> admin_at_abp.pl wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there any reason to migrate to Squid3 (or head snapshot 3.1)?
>>
>> IPv6 ;)
>
> It isn't reason for me;) IPv6 is far future in Europe imho (specially in
> Poland ;) )

IPv6 is only as far away as you want it to be.

All the popular OS now have v6 integrated tunnels (teredo and 6to4) with
dual-stack capabilities. Home users are actively (if unknowing) using
those for all services which provide AAAA, including P2P networks and
media streaming. Slow Corporates are currently being left in the dust as
tunnels grow across their networks without touching their control systems.

It's a pity really since all an ISP, or a business really need is recent
kernel, firewall, and IP management DB to start their transition.

I've written Squid-3 in such a way that all you need to do for IPv6 www
browsing or website acceleration, is have a tunnel endpoint on the squid
box (with a squid v6-enabled build of course). I've been running it myself
here as a v6 gateway since well before v6 was widely used in this country,
we still don't have native v6 transit in NZ.

Amos