Re: [squid-users] Squid 3 netfilter question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:53:11 +1200

Ritter, Nicholas wrote:
> Where does Squid 3 HEAD look for the netfilter and tproxy kernel header
> files?
>
> I am running Fedora 9 and the squid configure keeps erroring on the
> linux netfilter step. I manually copied headers to /usr/include but it
> still errors. I took the iptables src rpm and rebuilt it with the tproxy
> patch, and I have the devel rpms installed, but still no luck.

Please don't manually copy headers into your system areas. Install the
packages properly and they will do it themselves if needed. If they are
missing you often need to install the devel version of the package.

Netfilter:
   /usr/include/linux - where netfilter install all their headers. Same
as every other version of Squid.

TPROXY:
   Squid-3 HEAD only tests for Tproxy2.2 headers, if found it assumes
you have the Tproxy2.2 patch and does its old fashioned magic.

If they are missing, is switches to enabling Tproxy4+ which has no
detectable headers and is 2.6.24+ kernel-integrated.

Either way if you configure tproxy in 3-HEAD, one of them will be turned
on regardless of your missing headers. Just set 'tproxy' on an http_port
and you will see it in action.

Amos