Re: [squid-users] Setting up squid for web application testing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:15:10 +1200

Tom Evans wrote:
> Hi all
>
> squid-2.6.18 HTTP Caching Proxy
> FreeBSD squid01-test.jail.xx 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar
> 7 01:52:33 UTC 2008 root_at_xx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PE1950 amd64
>

> I'm trying to set up a testing/development infrastructure to mimic the
> production infrastructure. I have set up a squid proxy, which has local
> definitions in /etc/hosts for the sites I wish to test - assigning them
> all to a (singular) internal IP address. On this box, I have set up an
> Apache 2.2 reverse proxy, which handles static files and binding in
> application servers using http reverse proxy, FastCGI etc. To use the
> test infrastructure, I can just change my browser's http proxy to this
> new proxy, and it all works perfectly as expected.
>
> This new proxy is unlike the regular http proxy, in that it isn't on the
> edge of the network, it is internal. Therefore, it has no actual way of
> contacting any site that is not part of the internal test
> infrastructure. I was hoping I could chain this new proxy server with
> our regular web proxy server, so that 'regular' websites are accessible
> as well via the new proxy. I added
> cache_peer 10.xx.xx.xx parent 3128 3130 proxy-only default
> but this didn't work either (the rest of the config is stock, but with
> 'http_access allow all').
> I also couldn't see how I could say which sites/domains are 'local' to
> this proxy server, and which should be fetched by asking the parent
> proxy.
>
> I'll continue to read on in the manual, and in the mailing list archive
> (3000+ results for cache_peer!) but if anyone has any pointers/tips, I'd
> be most appreciative.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

You need a cache_peer for each unique source (the app server and the
upstream proxy.)
Chris has already pointed you at cache_peer_access. That with a few
dstdomain ACL can route the app requests to the app peer and the rest at
the parent proxy.

Using a cache_peer for the app server drops any need for special DNS or
hosts file config. Everything happens at one place inside the squid.conf.

Amos