Re: [squid-users] Load balancer & Squid mystery

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:31:32 +0200

On tis, 2008-06-10 at 13:10 -0700, Hitech Luddite wrote:
> Ever now and then, a request in a session which resides on app server
> A is sent by the load balancer to app server B. This happens in spite
> of the load balancer cookie (and the ASP.NET session cookie, for what
> it's worth) being the same as before. We have seen the behavior with
> both a Cisco and a F5 load balancer.

Probably persistent connections making the load balancer screw up. My
guess is that the load balancer only looks at the first request on a
connection and then assumes every following request will be from the
same user. When using a proxy the only guarantee there is that the
request is from the same proxy... connections in HTTP is hop-by-hop, not
end-to-end, and the same connection from a proxy will be reused for
requests from different users of that proxy.

Try "server_persistent_connections off" in squid.conf, or disabling
persistent connections / keep-alive on the web server.