[squid-users] Issues with Squid and authenticated sites

From: Henrique Machado <henrique.cicuto_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:34:57 -0300

Good evening,

First time in the list, and Iīm having a terrible issue with my squid.

Had 2.5STABLE12 running with no auth and recently upgraded to
3.0STABLE6 with auth against Windows DC.

The problem is: everytime when trying to access a website that asks
for a user and a password (some FTP sites and even some websites), I
donīt receive the "INPUT USERNAME AND PASSWORD" box.
When I had no authentication method running in Squid, Iīd get an error
message "when trying to authenticate. Squid sent the command
FTP<password> and received the reply īUser anonymous cannot log inī"
(this one is for FTP sites).
All around the world I have searched for an answer, and I always
received the same one: "Place the username and password in the URL".
K, fine, that works, partially, because the FTP always opens as
read-only (and also the idea of having usersīs passwords in our log
files is against our security policy).
The same goes for the websites that require authentication (this
situation happens mostly when itīs an authentication method from
Apache or IIS): no authentication box.

After the upgrade, when accessing sites/FTP that require
authentication, I keep getting an authentication box, but from my
proxy, not from the website/FTP.

Unfortunetly Google couldnīt help me out with this situation, and
since I had luck when consulting the netfilter list for some issues
with iptables, I hope Iīd get the same result coming to squid list.

I thank everyone in advance for the attention.

Henrique