Re: [squid-users] Issues with Squid and authenticated sites

From: Henrique Machado <henrique.cicuto_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:04:29 -0300

Thanks so far Henrik.
Since I´m a very stubborn person, I´m still trying.
Doing some further research, I found a post in squid list from 3 years
ago (in fact, you answered to it that time) where a user said he
changed squid so it would return to the browser a HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED
(401) message and then a WWW-Authenticate response-header.
Did some work with Wireshark, and also found some old Squid docs, that
showed me that Squid already does the HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED part. Back
then the person said it worked for Mozilla and Firefox, but not for
IE. Even you said backthen that it wouldn´t always work.
Even so, I´d like to give it a try. Anyone knows if this change in
Squid so it replies with WWW-Authenticate is something done in the
config file or the source code? Even if it doesn´t work, I think is a
very useful thing to learn.

For the record: the thread I´m based on is:
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200505/0404.html
(original thread)
http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200505/0411.html (answer)

Thanks again