RE: [squid-users] Re: Squid_kerb_auth problem after long login times.

From: Plant, Dean <dean.plant_at_roke.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:34:41 +0100

Markus Moeller wrote:
> Can you use kerbtray on the client ( it is available as part of the
> support tools or resource tools). I suspect that your ticket has
> expired. The ticket will usually be renewed when you lock/unlock your
> screen or access a share. XP should also renew when IE accesses a web
> server or proxy with negotiate (although I have heard of some issues
> here).
>
> Can you try to lock and unlock the screen instead of logout/login.
>
> Markus
>
> BTW What does the squid logfile say when you use squid_kerb_auth -d
> -i ... ?

Thanks for your reply.

The tip, locking and unlocking the screen, does renew tickets and fix
the issue when on XP SP2. I had never tried this before, leaving my test
machines overnight meant they were already locked. The first action in
the morning was to unlock and test the proxy connection, locking and
unlocking a second time does fix the issue.

I managed to fix this issue by simply installing XP SP3. I have now run
for days without any overnight proxy authentication issues or requiring
logout/login lock/unlock. Either from leaving machines logged in or
putting machines into hibernate or standby. :-)

I had been using kerbtray to debug kerberos. At SP2 level kerbtray would
show the ticket expired when I first unlocked the screen but then go
green within seconds as the machine renewed it tickets, authentication
with the proxy would still fail. It would seem though that with XP SP2
the issues lie at this unlocking the screen stage as mentioned above
locking and unlocking the screen a second time seems to correctly renew
the tickets so communication to the proxy is restored.

On a side note,

The reason I started looking at squid_kerb_auth was that we were
suffering from random pop-ups in Firefox with our transparent NTLM
authentication. With this kerberos authentication system I have not seen
one random pop-up yet so thank you very much for your work.

Dean

> "Plant, Dean" <dean.plant_at_roke.co.uk> wrote in message

k...