Re: [squid-users] Re: Help with sarg usage

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:30:44 -0800

Richard Chapman wrote:
> Hi Chris - and many many thanks...
>
> See also below.
>
>> You have two choices with SARG.
>>
>> The first is the simplest, but might not meet your needs. Make sure
>> in your sarg.conf file the "report_type" directive includes
>> "users_sites" and "date_time" and/or "site_user_time_date". The
>> first will give you a listing of the sites each username/IP
>> accessed. The second, will show bandwidth usage per hour for each
>> username/IP (linked from the main report). The third will give you a
>> listing of the times an individual accessed a specific website
>> (linked from the users_sites report).
>>
> I have checked that these "report_types" are enabled - and can find
> most of what you are talking about except the one I really want. The
> thing you describe as the "second" above is exactly what I want - but:
> The date-time reports I get don't seem to be exactly what you
> describe. If I go to the main page, then click on the most recent
> report I get a list of client IP addresses.
> If I click on the "Date-Time" icon near the left of each row - I get
> an array with hours across and dates down. Each cell contains what
> appears to be an "elapsed time". I don't really understand what this
> time means - but it doesn't appear to be the Bandwidth used during
> that hour.

Hmmm. The report I get when I follow the steps you described (which
_is_ the report I was referring to) is titled "Squid User Access
Report". It's a grid with hours for the columns header and dates for
the rows, but it lists usage by bytes...

Aha. From sarg.conf:

# TAG: date_time_by bytes|elap
# Date/Time reports will use bytes or elapsed time?
#

#date_time_by bytes

> Am I in the wrong place - or am I misunderstanding something? Either
> way - what do these "times" mean?

My understanding is that this indicates the amount of time Squid spent
processing the requests (second column of the native log format). Since
it can service more that one request at a time, it might add up to more
than 1 hour per hour.

> Tanks Chris
>
> Richard.

Chris