Re: [squid-users] Need help. Squid won't start

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:51:07 +1200

Nick Lehman wrote:
> Aaarrgh! I've been working on getting a squid box up and running
> (2.6_STABLE19) and using squidguard as a redirect program. I haven't
> even been able to t-shoot squidguard yet as I can't even get Squid to
> start. It fails to start no matter what. My config is a pretty
> simple one. Default ACLs and default listen port. When I try to
> start, it first told me that I needed a visibile_hostname parameter.
> Weird, because as I understand it... This is an optional field.

optional only if DNS is working properly. If a DNS failure or kernel
hostname lookup occurs during startup, this be seen.

> So I
> added a hostname and tried to start squid again. It hangs for a while
> then says it's a no go. I do a debug on the startup and below is the
> info I get. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> -Nick
>
> System specs:
>
> FC8 i386
> Squid 2.6_STABLE19
> SquidGuard 1.3
>
> Debug:

<snip>
> 2008/06/29 09:05:25| /var/spool/squid/swap.state: (13) Permission denied
> FATAL: storeUfsDirOpenSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.

Here's a few avenues of attack that error implies:

- is the file system full or nearly full?

- are you starting squid as root and letting it do its own permissions
properly?

- does the new squid have the same user/group privileges as the old one?

- do the swap.state file and associated caches have the right user/group
permissions for squid?

Amos