Re: [squid-users] difference at dynamic pages cache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:33:24 +1200 (NZST)

> Hello,
>
> In older squid (before 3.0), the config directives for dynamic pages are:
>
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> cache deny QUERY
>
> In squid 3.0, the directives above were removed, and uses a
> refresh_pattern instead:
>
> refresh_pattern (cgi-bin|\?) 0 0% 0
>

> What's the difference in effect between those two config?

Old squid did not cache any dynamic pages at all by default.
RFC 2616 allows dynamic pages to be cached if they have expiry
information. Squid 3.0 config has been updated to do that.

The same config is also usually safe to use these days in squid back as
far as 2.6, but we decided not to make the policy change in squid-2 with
such a large number of people affected.

The net result is a few more percentage points on the hit ratio and a
slightly better standard-compliance rating.

Amos