Re: [squid-users] Slow clients in reverse proxy setup...

From: John Doe <jdmls_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 03:51:44 -0700 (PDT)

> > I simulated a slow client (throttled at 512k/s) and squid kept the apache
> > connection open the whole time, while he could have closed it after 1 second...
> > It was a 20MB file and maximum_object_size 32768 KB.
> > Accessed a second time, the object is cached correctly, no more apache access.
> > Are there parameters in the configuration to tell squid to go full throttle
> > with the server, close the connection and then continue alone with the client?
> > For info, I have KeepAlive Off in my httpd.conf
>
> That is squid default behavior when it gets a "Connection: close" header
> from server in response object.

My apache does send a "Connection: close"
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:17:40 GMT
  Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
  Last-Modified: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:48:40 GMT
  ETag: "68996-1388000-6d2d8600"
  Accept-Ranges: bytes

> The settings in squid are delay_pools, all about slowing down the client
> side of the send so clients can't hog too much bandwidth overall.

I thought delay_pools were for limiting clients bandwitdh.
This is a reverse proxy setup: fast squid<->apache and potentialy slow squid<->clients.
I do not want to slowdown fast clients; I want squid to handle slow clients (that would hold onto apache for a too long time).

Right now, I have this:
  slowclient-squid
  squid-apache (a little bit transfered)
  slowclient-squid (a little bit transfered)
  squid-apache (a little bit transfered)
  slowclient-squid (a little bit transfered)
  . . .
  squid-apache (connection closed)
  slowclient-squid (connection closed)

I want something like:
  slowclient-squid
  squid-apache (all transfered and connection closed)
  slowclient-squid (a little bit transfered)
  slowclient-squid (a little bit transfered)
  slowclient-squid (a little bit transfered)
  . . .
  slowclient-squid (connection closed)

Are delay_pools for that too?

Thx,