Re: [squid-users] Recommend for hardware configurations

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:47:13 +0800

2008/7/6 Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>:

> Until I see any numbers indicating quad core gives a significant
> increase outperforming what the same price configuration using dual core
> I will continue propagating that quad core is not beneficial to Squid.

My numbers here say, if your Squid workload is memory-locked, you
won't benefit from quad-core. If your Squid workload is CPU-bound, you
will benefit from Quad-Core.

This applies for intel with their single style memory bus. AMD's are a
bit different.

> Similarly for dual core vs single core, but it's not as clear cut as
> there is not a big per core performance difference between single and
> dual core compared to prices..

Well, the benefit comes from being able to run the network TX/RX
threads on the other CPU, freeing up the first CPU for running Squid.
You'd be surprised how much that will give you.

Of course, if Squid wasn't so inefficient when it came to memory
copying (ie, it does way too much), it would probably be more CPU
rather than memory-bus taxing, and quad-core may start to matter.

YMMV.

Adrian
(Who has single and dual-core AMD/Intel, and Dual dual-core intel xeon
in testing, and understands what the hell is going on here..)