Squid Issues and Problems

From: <jerome_law_at_trendmicro.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:28:39 +0200

Hi there all,

Firstly many thanks for all your work on Squid thus far :)

I have been testing Squid 3.0 since PRE6 in various configurations, and one
of the more notable issues I have found is that when Squid is running in
ICAP mode, coupled with Trend Micro IWSx (InterScan Web Security) - IWSx
reports that Squid does not support the X-TE trailers for data trickling.
The error is usually logged when dealing with video from CNN (at first I
thought all flash video, but YouTube is unaffected) and downloading certain
MS Hotfixes. There might be other triggers as well - but these seem to be
the main ones. When I configure IWSx to use a different ICAP server - say
NetCache or other, there is no issue or error logged and things work as
expected.

A quick search of the squid source provided no answers, however a search of
the archives show that there was a patch for Squid 2.5 ICAP dealing with
X-TE trailers:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200311/att-0018/squid-icap
-2_5-x-auth-user.diff
http://www.squid-cache.org/~hno/changesets/squid/patches/7972.patch <http://www.squid-cache.org/%7Ehno/changesets/squid/patches/7972.patch>

Looking at ICAPModXact.cc I can see that there are some similar references
to the area's above, however most certainly the code is above my level of
expertise to have a play around with to cobble something together.

I was wondering if there were any plans to include support for X-TE trailers
in this version? If you could let me know that would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jerome

  <http://websecurity.trendmicro.com/>

Jerome Law | Solutions Architect, Regional Marketing EMEA

Pacific House, Third Avenue, Globe Business Park, Marlow

Buckinghamshire, SL7 1YL, United Kingdom

Office: +44 (0) 1628 400586 | Mobile: +44 (0) 7979 99 33 77

  <http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Anti-MalwareBlog/~6/2>

TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE

Trend Micro (UK) Limited, a Limited Liability Company. Registered in England No. 3698292. Registered Office: Pacific House, Third Avenue, Globe Business Park, Marlow, Bucks, SL7 1YL Telephone: +44 1628 400500 Facsimile: +44 1628 400511.

The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.

image001.gif
image002.gif