Re: [squid-users] squid in ISP

From: Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:56:59 -0500

Siu-kin Lam wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Any experience using squid as caching in ISP environment ?
>

> thanks
> SK

I'm sure there's much larger ISPs out there and been using it much longer;
just passing along our info.
We're a small ISP serving around 10k dialup,dsl,cable modem and MAN subs
via a dual-homed to different ISP BGP WAN.
We loaded squid on a quad core linux box with around 1.2Tb disk
capacity and 32Gb RAM, using a Cisco 4948 switch and WCCP2
to transparently redirect to Squid.
There were some major hurdles along the way
mostly getting the 4948 to pass the L2 WCCP traffic -
2 IOS bugs and a year in the process) but once that worked
and we got our IPTABLES set up properly, transparent redirection
has been working quite well.
Some tweaks needed to our Squid config, but with the help of this list
  - particularly Henrik and Amos' posts - at this point we're very
encouraged by the performance and bandwidth savings we're seeing on the
system which has only been truly active for around 3 weeks now.
Again, we're a pretty small shop - so when our old NetApp Netcache
was no longer able to adequately handle the load, we needed an
effective, minimal-cost solution which this is demonstrating to be.
Hope that helps.
-Ryan