RE: [squid-users] how does squid work as a transparent proxy?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:16:40 +0200

On fre, 2008-07-11 at 12:58 +0200, Raphael Maseko wrote:

> >From what I understand, if you use WCCP, you do not exactly re-write the
> packet destination address but you use your router to give your packet a
> 'coat' or encapsulation without modifying the packet inside the
> encapsulation.

Yes.

> The machine to which the encapsulated packet is directed removes the 'coat'
> and treats the packet as would any proxy specified in the browser. The
> information about the destination webserver is not lost in the process.

No. The proxy host removes the coat and processes the packet as if it
was routed via the proxy host. For transparent interception you then
need firewall rules on the proxy host intercepting the packet and
redirecting it to the Squid proxy port, and Squid needs to be configured
for transparent interception.

It's quite different from how things works when the proxy is specified
in the browser.