RE: [squid-users] Squid Error Pages

From: Andy McCall <Andy.McCall_at_unitypartnership.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:07:53 +0100

Hi Brie,

I have just gone through a similar scenario myself. So I might be able to help.

> I'm a longtime Squid user and I want to edit the error messages that
> Squid provides. I've located the files (ERR_ACCESS_DENIED,
> ERR_CACHE_ACCESS_DENIED, etc) and modified them but they are not
> displayed as I thought. For example, Squid appends a line about itself

You can get rid of the "Generated by.." signature by including the %s variable in your error page. As soon as you include the %s somewhere the page, "Generated by..." line no longer appears.

This means that your error pages *must* include the word "squid" somewhere. If you want to hide it you can either alter the code and re-compile, or you could always change the colour of the text to match the background, for example:

<FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">%s</FONT>

On a white background will allow you to hide the signature. You will still see "squid" if you look at the HTML source using your browser, but it's a quick fix if your not up to editing code.

I believe that the FTP and Gopher signatures have to be removed by altering source and the above trick won't work.

> and the cache manager and does not display some images even though the
> HTML is correct.

Like Henrik said, the images have to be served from a web server.

> What is going on? I have Apache on the machine but I don't think that

I am taking a guess that you have installed Apache, but put the images in the same folder as your error pages. That won't work. Put the images in your Apache root/htdocs/www folder. For example if you have a server called squid1.mydomain.com, and your htdocs folder is /var/www. Created a folder called images in there, and place all your images in /var/www/images.

You should be able to see the images by visiting http://squid1.mydomain.com/images/yourimage.jpg in a browser.

This is the same URL you would include in your ERR_ pages too.

Finally, if you change the location of the error pages using the error_directory variable, don't forget to tell squid to pick up the change using squid -k reconfigure.

Hope some of this information helps.

Andy McCall
is unauthorised. If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately
by replying to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.

This note confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of
computer viruses, however we advise that in keeping with good IT practice the
recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus
free by running a virus scan themselves. We cannot accept any responsibility for
any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

The Unity Partnership Ltd, registered in England at West Hall, Parvis Road, West Byfleet, Surrey UK KT14 6EZ.
Registered No : 5916336. VAT No : 903761336.