RE: [squid-users] FW: COSS and 1Gb files...

From: Andy McCall <Andy.McCall_at_unitypartnership.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 23:51:08 +0100

Thanks for the reply. I think I get it now.

> There's no real benefit in using COSS for files greater than say,
> 500kilobytes.
>
> At that point the seek'ing required to access data in the file becomes
> more than the difference in overhead between COSS and normal UNIX
> filesystems.
>
> Use COSS for small objects (under 500 odd kilobytes) and AUFS for
> anything larger.

Excellent. In that case the set up I put in place until I worked out
how to get coss working is probably what I want anyway.

One thing I wasn't sure on - Am I supposed to format my cache partition as aufs/ufs and specify aufs/ufs in squid.conf, or do I format it as ext2/ext3 and specify aufs/ufs in squid.conf?

At the moment, I have a /cache as an ext2 file system and cache_dir ufs 40000 16 256 in my squid.conf, which I think this is right.

If that is right, what is the view on ext2 vs ext3 as the file system?

Is the choice between slower access times, but quick recovery times using ext3, or quicker access times but slower recover times using ext2?