Re: [squid-users] When worlds collide

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:55:19 +1200

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running into a problem, not sure if or how to handle it.
>
> User running windows has an entry in their (Windows
> equiv of /etc/hosts) that says :
>
> 192.168.3.10 SNEAKY.EXAMPLE.COM
>
> For the rest of the world, SNEAKY.EXAMPLE.COM doesn't
> exist (NXDOMAIN).
>
> Without squid in transparent/WCCP2 mode, it appears that
> the user contacts 192.168.3.10 and does his thing. With squid+
> transparent+WCCP2, we end up with 503's.
>
> Is there even a way to be able to address this, or is
> the user just going to be out of luck period?

Out of luck. Domain hijacking like this is precisely why squid doesn't
trust the client-given dst IP in transparent mode.

They will have to:

a) connect to that domain using raw IP address in the URL.

b) negotiate with the proxy admin to configure the proxy to selectively
do the SNEAKY.EXAMPLE.COM redirect for them.

Amos