Re: [squid-users] H/W requirement for Squid to run in bigger scene like ISP

From: Angelo Hongens <angelo_at_hongens.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:01:02 +0200

Anna Jonna Armannsdottir wrote:
> With todays hardware, wich is often dual processor by default, there are
> very little savings using only one processor. Chances are that Your
> users will hate the proxy server, if it turns out to be a bottleneck
> during heavy load.

I'm not running any squid machines in production now (only in VM's to
test), but I were to 'go physical', I would have the same question..

All the servers I usually buy have either one or two quad core cpu's, so
it's more the question: will 8 cores perform better than 4?

If not, I would be wiser to buy a single Xeon X5460 or so, instead of 2
lower clocked cpu's, right?

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Angelo Höngens