Re: [squid-users] H/W requirement for Squid to run in bigger scene like ISP

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:22:53 -0400

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind is that in my experience, it makes sense to
not only get fast disks, but put as much RAM in the box you can
afford. Now *don't* give this all the squid via the mem_cache config;
let the OS use the spare memory for caching disk reads. This will spee

Additionally, don't RAID your disks beyond RAID 1, and only do that if
you have to for reliability requirements. The more individual spindles
attached to separate cache_dirs, the better. Amos is right that I/O
trumps CPU here every time.

When we swapped out older squid boxes that couldn't take more than 2GB
of RAM, or more than one disk, and put in 64-bit boxen with 32GB and 3
cache-dirs (6 drives, paired into three RAID1 devices), we saw things
improve dramatically despite the fact that the CPUs were actually
slower. We went from topping out at 5K queries per minute to being
able to handle ~20K/minute without breaking a sweat. Pretty dramatic
IMHO.

Hope this helps,

-Chris