RE: [squid-users] Extremely high 'Median response time' warnings

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:02:46 +0200

On tis, 2008-07-15 at 14:21 -0400, Tim Boyer wrote:
> Henrik -
>
> The more I dig into this, the more I'm convinced you're correct - it's just
> a measurement anomoly. I'm running sar on that box, and it's not memory,
> CPU, or IO bound at those times. Nothing at all unusual in access.log, but
> cache.log is firing every minute:
>
> 2008/07/12 23:35:43| WARNING: Median response time is 57448 milliseconds

I think the interesting is what happened in access.log within the minute
before this started to get logged.

> I think I'm just going to ignore it, especially if there aren't any users
> complaining!

Yes. It's completely safe to ignore this message in low-traffic times
and when no users is complaining.

If you see it duging peak usage with several persons actively browsing
then you may want to proactively look into if there is a problem before
the phone starts ringing... (usually a sign of a networking problem..)