[Fwd: Re: [squid-users] Recommended cache_dir config for large system]

From: Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:29:38 -0500

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On ons, 2008-07-16 at 13:20 -0500, Rhino wrote:
>> Have Squid2.7STABLE1 running on Debian Linux box with 4 278 GB drives
>> allotted for caching.
>> System has 32 gig RAM, and serves approx. 10k users.
>> Seeking input as to the most effective config options on this system in
>> order to reduce latency
>> and maximize throughput.
>
> Ample amounts of filedescriptors. Give Squid 32K filedescriptors or so
> (--max-fd configure option, or max_filedescriptors config option in
> squid.conf 2.7)
>
> maxed number of outgoing TCP ports. (ip_local_port_range sysctl)
>
> persistent connections enabled (default)
>
> aufs cache_dir type, with two cache_dir per drive. L1=128, L2=256.
>
> Make sure to leave some GB of ram for OS + fs cache. Don't be too
> agressive about the Squid memory usage.
>
> Do not configure a swap. Instead leave sufficient margin in the memory
> usage..
>
> Should also give some advice on which filesystem to use, but ext3 is
> probably fine. reiserfs is also a good candidate but may need the notail
> mount option.
>
> noatime mount option on the cache drives.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

THanks much for the quick response, Henrik.
Filesystem for cache disks currently configured for reiserfs with
notail/noatime opts.
I did not have the fd amounts set, nor ip_local_port_range.
My cache_dirs have each disk mounted as partition, i.e. disk1=/squid1
disk2=/squid2; would your suggestion
be then to halve each disk and partition each as cache_dir? (i.e, go
from squid1-4 to squid1-8 across the 4 disks)
Also have a 5th disk of equal size that has to be used for OS, just fyi
- so these 4 are totally dedicated to Squid.
thanks again, appreciate your input.
-Ryan