Re: [squid-users] Recommended cache_dir config for large system

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:39:10 +0200

On 16.07.08 13:20, Rhino wrote:
> Have Squid2.7STABLE1 running on Debian Linux box with 4 278 GB drives
> allotted for caching.
> System has 32 gig RAM, and serves approx. 10k users.
> Seeking input as to the most effective config options on this system in
> order to reduce latency
> and maximize throughput.

In addition to what Hendrik said

- one cache_dir per disk
- you can skip logging if that's not needed (but I wouldn't do that)
- use one disk or maybe two mirrorred disks for system (logs) and the rest
  for spool
- if you want to have more space, you can create smaller spool on the same
  disk system it. If you mirror it, only mirror system partitions, don't put
  spool on mirror (unless you don't want to loose any part of your spool
  when a disk fails)

- using small(er) COSS spool on the system + logs disk could help
  performance, if smaller files were put there and only bigger on other
  spools) however COSS is not that stable yet (afaik).

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.