Re: [squid-users] Squid in the Enterpise

From: Richard Hubbell <richard_hubbe11_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:32:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, Robert V. Coward <rvc_pobox_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Robert V. Coward <rvc_pobox_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: [squid-users] Squid in the Enterpise
> To: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 11:51 AM
> I am running into the standard "Open Source" fear
> at my local site. Can anyone name some major companies that
> use Squid. We are talking enterprise or ISP here. We
> currently have about 100,000 users with heavy streaming
> video use. Some of the management are afraid Squid will not
> be able to handle the load.
> Our planned deployment box is a 8-way, 16GB ram, 1TB (6
> disks I think) server which will be running RedHat
> Enterprise Linux.

Didn't know there was a 'standard "Open Source" fear'. In what context is the fear exhibited? Fear of low quality?

100,000 users is more carrier-scale than enterprise. I don't know if there's any hard min-max but I thought a ballpark for enterprise was <10,000.

Squid can handle the load if the system is architected properly.
You will need some model of current traffic to even start the conversation.

You cannot buy a pc, then shoe-horn the traffic into it. That will lead to disappointment. I suggest hiring an expert since it sounds like you need one. There are experts here that can help you.