Re: [squid-users] Squid in the Enterpise

From: Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:16:31 -0500

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães wrote:

> Robert V. Coward escreveu:
>> I am running into the standard "Open Source" fear at my local site.
>> Can anyone name some major companies that use Squid. We are talking
>> enterprise or ISP here. We currently have about 100,000 users with
>> heavy streaming video use. Some of the management are afraid Squid
>> will not be able to handle the load.
>> Our planned deployment box is a 8-way, 16GB ram, 1TB (6 disks I think)
>> server which will be running RedHat Enterprise Linux.
>>

> in my opinion 100k users are just too much to a single machine, even
> if it's a 'super' machine. And let's not think about machine load ...
> let's think on a machine crash of failure of some kind. 100k users are
> enough users for you to start thinking on some clustering of some kind.
>
> i agree with Richard Hubbell ..... 100k users are just enough for you
> to look for some expert to analyze and build this project for you.
>
> we're not talking of 100 or 1k users ... we're talking of 100k. 100k
> users on a standard (not optimized) device/system configuration will
> probably trash any cache solution and squid wont be an exception.

besides the items previously addressed (and should we mention many of
the "commercial" caches use open solutions?),
you should bear in mind that for a cache to be truly effective at
bandwidth conservation (if that is your goal) it
needs to be placed close to the users. So if you're talking about an
ISP with 100k users, I doubt they all reside
on one or two LANs - and you'd do well to establish a topology with
several caches servicing their own groups
of users. What you'll save in having to add additional bandwidth
overall would surely recoup the costs of the
additional hardware, imho.
hth
-Ryan