[squid-users] Squid Maxing Out - Help required

From: Thompson, Scott \(WA\) <Scott.Thompson_at_affoods.com.au>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:44:13 +0800

Hi all
We are seeing some weird behaviour with our Squid server
Thru out the day Internet Explorer will come back with Internet Explorer
cannot display the page
No errors from Squid as such, it appears that IE simply cannot contact
the squid server, that's what it looks like to me!
I have MRTG installed and for HTTP In and Out we are seeing it max out
at 14.4MB/s as well as Server In/Out traffic
I assume this means that the LAN card in the squid server is saturated
with traffic and I suspect this is why the server is not responding to
requests from the users. 14.4MB/s = 100Mb which is what the LAN card is
Usually hitting refresh a few times will load the page in question
The squid server is located in a DMZ behind a Cisco PIX, the MRTG
traffic reported on the DMZ interface on the PIX shows a max in and out
of about 512KB/s (5 minute averages)
We are running Squid 2.5 Stable6, I know this is a fairly old version.
This has only started happening since we have implemented a hosted
solution for our reporting systems for our retail stores as well as for
the users who need to get these reports and information.
If anyone can offer any insights to this it would be greatly
appreciated. If you require more information don't hesitate to let me
know.

Scott