Re: [squid-users] DNS configuration

From: elsergio <sergio.lm_at_telefonica.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 01:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

Henrik Nordstrom-5 wrote:

> On mån, 2008-07-21 at 15:18 -0700, elsergio wrote:
>
>> I am trying to configure a reverse proxy. The idea is to have several web
>> servers in my network and also a DNS. The dns server will have the
>> planning
>> logic for choosing the optimal web server. I want Squid to ask for the
>> web
>> server ip address to this dns server. Then Squid will forward the request
>> the given ip.
>>
>> It is possible to do this? If this is possible,. how can I do it?
>
> Yes, if you accept that peering with other Squids is not possible.
>
> http_port 80 accel vhost
>
> always_direct allow all
>
> acl my.servers dstdomain site1.domain site2.domain ...
> acl http proto http
> acl 80 port 80
>
> http_access allow my.servers http 80
> http_access deny all
>
> and make the DNS return a very very short TTL for sites where you do
> dynamic serverselection.. (if not squid will cache the DNS response for
> as long as it's valid).
>

> Byt personally I would let Squid do the server selection, with the
> seletion logics in squid.conf.
>
> http_port 80 accel vhost
>
> cache_peer ip.of.server1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=server1
> acl server1_domains dstdomain site1.domain
> cache_peer_access allow server1 server1_domains
>
> cache_peer ip.of.server2 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=server2
> acl server2_domains dstdomain site2.domain
> cache_peer_access allow server2 server2_domains
>
> [etc]
>
> If you have multple servers for the same sites add multiple cache_peer
> lines, and a peer seletion algorithm such as round-robin,
> weighted-round-robin, sourcehash, userhash or carp.
>
> If there is very many domains hosted per server then use file based acls
>
> acl serverX_domains dstdomain "/path/to/server1_domains.txt"
>
> Regards
> Henrik

Hi Henrik,

- http_port 80 accel vhost # accel vhost? what is used for?

- allways_direct allow all #do I need something like acl all src
0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 ?

For the option A (with dns server). If the dns server's IP is 192.168.10.10

dns_nameservers 192.168.10.10 #is this the way to configure it?

For the option B (squid will be in charge of the logics): If the web
server's IP's are wsIP1, wsIP2 and wsIP3

cache_peer wsIP1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=S1 round_robin
cache_peer wsIP2 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=S2 round_robin
cache_peer wsIP3 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=S3 round_robin

acl S1_domains dstdomain site.domain
acl S2_domains dstdomain site.domain
acl S3_domains dstdomain site.domain

cache_peer_access allow S1 S1_domains