Re: [squid-users] trouble accessing Google Earth - squid 2.6.STABLE20

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:54:39 -0800

Ipplepen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone would be able to help me.
> I'm running IpCop 1.4.18 with squid 2.6STABLE20.
> I do not have any problem accessing any other web sites
> through the transparent proxy but I've having trouble accessing
> Google Earth. Through the proxy, the Google Earth servers cannot be
> reached. If I access directly it works fine.
>
> Based on what I found in the squid docs,
> I've tried the following lines in squid.conf :-
>
> acl ge dstdomain .google.com
> always_direct allow ge

This will only effect cache_peers. Once the traffic hits Squid, squid
has to deal with it.

> but this does not seem to have any affect.
> I am a newbe when it comes to squid conf's so can anyone
> tell me if there are any other magic entries that will
> solve this problem ? How do i go about investigating the problem ?

Check your access.log and your cache.log for any entries related to
these requests. Give more details on how you came to the conclusion
that "the Google Earth servers cannot be reached".

> Many thanks for any help,
>
> Pete
>
> My complete squid.conf is listed below :-

Nothing jumps out at me. The only possible cause for concern would be
your denial of the Via and X-Forwarded-For headers, but that's unlikely
to be the issue.

Chris