Re: [squid-users] squid won't start on boot

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 17:25:37 +1200 (NZST)

> On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Sébastien WENSKE wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Iget some troubles with squid3-stable8 when I try ti enable it on boot
>>
>> Starting squid: WARNING: Cannot write log file: /var/logs/cache.log
>> /var/logs/cache.log: Permission denied
>> [...]
>> squid: ERROR: Could not read pid file
>> /var/logs/squid.pid: (13) Permission denied
>>
>> It work fine when I start it manualy.
>>
>> You can find below what i did :
>>
>> ./configure --localstatedir=/var --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
>> --sysconfdir=/etc/squid/ --enable-icmp --enable-arp-acl
>> --with-default-user=squid
>> make
>> make install
>> adduser squid
>> mkdir /var/logs
>> mkdir /var/cache
>> chown -R squid.squid /var/logs
>> chown -R squid.squid /var/cache
>> /usr/sbin/squid -z
>>
>> OS is RedHat EL 5.1
>>
>> What's wrong ?
>
> Quick guess? When you test squid as root squid created the cache.log as
> owner
> root! Now that you are starting squid from an rc script it runs as user
> squid
> so needless to say cannot write a file created by root!

I'd guess that to.

> Try linux101!!
> chown squid.squid /var/logs/cache.log
> chown -R squid.squid /var/cache
> Check the perms and ownerships on the rest of your files in /var/logs!

Though the correct fix for this is to simply fix the RC script not to
start squid as a limited user. But to let squid do the down-scaling
properly itself.
Without it you will also later encounter problems when kernel denies
access to the ICMP and ARP protocols for the non-root user.

Note to RedHat developers: I added default-user option to let you fix your
RC scripts without patching squid. Please use it and correct these issues.

Amos