Re: [squid-users] Restarts -- which option changes will and won't get picked up?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 00:20:57 +1200

Richard Hubbell wrote:
> Hello Squid world,
>
> I was trying to understand what changes would get picked up when doing a restart and I couldn't find an answer.

I've never seen any proper documentation on these.
But for the record here is what they do...

> From the man page these are the -k options:
>

> reconfigure

- reload squid.conf. closing all active connections. Including logs and
helpers. Then reopening helpers based on new configuration.

  | rotate

close all open log files. rotate them (a.log becomes a.log.0 etc...) and
  open new ones. follow up by purging garbage from swap.state journals
and memory indexes.

  | shutdown

close all open connections. release all memory. write memory cache
indexes to journals and close. etc, etc. nice and cleanly.

  | interrupt

another name for shutdown.

  | kill

immediate abort of everything. hard death equivalent to 'kill -9 squid'.
can cause helpers or active clients to experience weird crashes or
errors. Or possible bad side-effects on aborted cache files when restarted.

  | debug

raise debug level to "ALL,7" (almost full debugging output in cache.log)
without restarting squid.
Same as starting squid with -X option. But can be turned on any time.

  | check

hmm, apparently does something but can't figure it out even from the
code. It's a SIGNULL sent to squid, but not listened for or accepted?

  | parse

read squid.conf checking for errors. display any problems. dummy run, no
changes used.

| restart

wasn't in your list but is their on some squid. same as a manual stop
then start.

> I am wondering if there's documentation describing which changes will get picked up by the different -k options?
>
> Particulary I'm trying to understand memory and disk cache size settings.
> If those are changed do they require a stop and start of Squid?

only -k reconfigure, -k restart, and initial startup pick up changes to
squid.conf.

cache L1/L2 settings change a stop / erase old cache / start sequence
may be needed. None has tested the effects of L1/L2 changes on the cache
dir properly.

Other memory sizes, and total cache available size only require a
reconfigure. Garbage collection will handle everything else properly.

Amos