Re: [squid-users] Some queries about cache_peer

From: bijayant kumar <bijayant4u_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:01:06 -0700 (PDT)

Bijayant Kumar

--- On Thu, 31/7/08, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> [...]
> come to
> >> the proxy1 first, it will
> delivered
> >> else the page will
> >> ".com" domain right?
> >>
> >> Usually. If netdb/icmp has been enabled squid will
> keep
> >> records of
> >> response times and go to whichever of peer/web
> responds
> >> fastest. thinking
> >> fastest available service is usually best to use.
> >>
> >> Check your access.log for info on which is being
> selected
> >> for each request.

> the
> >> page which is not in
> or the
> >> main proxy1 server?
> >>
> >> Under only cache_peer_domain, maybe both. Use
> >> 'never_direct' to force
> >> requests to go via peers.
> >>
> > If i use 'never_direct' option then if parent
> cache servers will go down then no body will be able to
> browse the web. And if i will not use 'never_direct'
> option then fetching of object will be done by proxy1,if
> object not found in any cache(proxy2/proxy3), am i right?
>
> Yes.

> cache,
> >> proxy1 or
> >> 'proxy-only' prevents caching at proxy1 if
> request
> >> came from peer. If
> >> request came from web DIRECT then it can be cached
> at
> >> proxy1 and used
> >> later.
> > In my configuration, proxy1 will query to the internet
> for new objects and hence the cache will be populated of
> proxy1 only, no matter it is of ".net" domain or
> of ".com" domain. Then the new entry of
> ".net" and ".com" domain will never be
> written to the cache of the dedicated caching server for the
> same.
> > If i am right in my analogy then can you please
> suggest me to how to avoid this situation. I mean that
> ".net" cache will be written to ".net"
> dedicated server(proxy3) and ".com" cache will be
> written to the proxy2.
>
> In squid you only have a choice of peers vs DIRECT.
>
> Your config earlier was workable, in which case squid will
> make that
> choice every request. Usually going peers, but sometimes
> going DIRECT.
>
> Or you can force a choice yourself with never_direct
> (opposite is
> always_direct, but its clear to me you don't want
> that).
>
> It's up to you.
>
> To decide if a cache of 100% .com traffic is worth the
> small risk of no
> access to .com at all when proxy2 goes down. Which is only
> 2x the same
> risk of proxy1 going down by itself anyway.
>
> Keeping in mind that a quick admin reconfigure of proxy1
> (commenting out
> the proxy2 lines) can restore access while proxy2 is

It means that this configuration will not serve my purpose of using cache_peer. I also can not afford of any down time also.
I wanted to use proxy servers in my network which are 2 to 3 in numbers, share their cache among them. To achieve this setting shall i use DNS round robin or squid round robin along with the cache_peer settings in all the three server's squid.conf ? Can you give me some input to achieve this, it would be great help.

Thanks & Regards
Bijayant