Re: [squid-users] What would be the point of using Entity Resolvers if there are network caches ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:40:19 +0200

On lör, 2008-08-02 at 22:04 -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:

> EntityResolver is a java interface.
> ~
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/org/xml/sax/EntityResolver.html
> ~
> Objects implementing it are used to redirect requests to web
> resources, such as an entity like:
> ~
> http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007/isolat2.ent
> ~
> to local caches right in your local hard drive so you don't have to
> access the Internet again or at all.
> ~
> When I said "network cache" I actually meant a caching proxy for the
> Web, such as Squid
> ~

Ok. A such redirecting Entity Resolver is similar to the cache found in
browsers, and complements the shared cache in the network.

It also has special knowledge about the expiration model for these XML
entities (usually never), without depending on the publisher assigning
proper exipry information at the HTTP level.

I'd say the two complements each other nicely, with the shared network
cache mainly responsible to catch when there is many
users/servers/applications accessing the same resource.

But yes, if the network cache is well connected to the client and the
publisher assigns reasonable expiration information on the object then
using the caching entity resolver is optional as LAN network is often
about as fast as local drives...