Re: [squid-users] problem with header Location in php (squid related)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:03:41 +1200 (NZST)

> Hello,
>
> I'm not using squid, but I'm in trouble with it, I explain:
> In our website we have a redirection from http to https, with a
> header("Location:..") in PHP. The problem comes with few 404 errors that
> we got, and we have no idea from where come and why come, I paste here
> the information:
>
> 1rt 404:
>
> 'HTTP_VIA' => '1.1 nickel.onspeed.com:3128 (squid/2.6.STABLE18)',
> 'REDIRECT_URL' => '/https://www.oursite.com',
>
> 2nd 404:
>
> 'HTTP_VIA' => '1.1 nickel.onspeed.com:3128 (squid/2.6.STABLE18)',
> 'REDIRECT_URL' =>
> '/https://https://www.oursite.com/https://www.oursite.com',

<snip>

> The only one point that all this 404 has is the (squid/2.6.STABLE20)
> version, we don't have more information.
> Maybe squid is looping arround the redirection?
>
> If you want to do a testlive to see what happend, the domain is
> http://www.cdmon.com

You have a redirector somewhere down the chain between your web server and
the client browser, which is re-writing the PATH segment of the URI with
the full URL. Probably due to an old transparency bug fixed months ago.

You will need to track down the squid operator and yell loudly at them to
fix their proxy. The footer of the error page which gave you squid/2.6
should have the machine name of the squid just before the version.
An rDNS and whois lookup should give you the company name and contacts.

You will probably find its the visitors ISP doing traffic control.

Meanwhile. You can break the infinite loop with a URL test at your end. It
might be a good idea to mention the issue in a custom error message so the
visitor can yell at their ISP as well.

Amos